The Paradise Cafe is located in a 1915 vintage brick and stucco building that once housed an Italian bakery. Attached to the main building is a Victorian structure that served as the proprietor’s residence. The La Paloma Cafe opened at this location in 1938; serving Mexican food to downtown residents as well as the servicemen who were based at what is now U.C.S.B. during the Second World War. The landmark building was leased by the Paradise Cafe partners in 1981 and continues to be operated by the remaining original partner, Randy Rowse.